Thursday, September 17, 2009

Truth vs. Fantasy

In the world of stories, mythos, logos and ethos. Which matters most? Truth or the better story? What good is a tale full of history and honesty, if no one will read it. It is the fantasy stories with adventure and made-up creatures that make a story worth reading. 
I once sat in on a class when I was younger with my older sister. The class was all about 'the better story.' 
There is a man and a little boy, the man leaves the room and tells the boy he must not touch the light switch on the wall while he is gone. The little boy does not touch it.
Where is the story? There isn't one. BUT if the little boy does touch it and is carried away into far away lands and learns secrets of days gone by, then we have a story. Probably a very very good story. 

This is the Bible so far to me. I have almost finished Genesis and this is one of the better parts. Joseph and his brothers. The characters have depth and I can understand what is going on. It is a good story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment